xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] encoding: how do I hit the XML processing instruction programmatically?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Luca Passani <passani AT eunet.no>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] encoding: how do I hit the XML processing instruction programmatically?
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:19:08 +0200

Noam Tamim wrote:

This is a common misconception.

wow. I always heard the XML declaration referred to as 'the XML processing instruction'.
Where does the misconception come from?

The XML declaration is not a processing instruction, although it looks like one. So it has nothing to do with the ProcessingInstruction class in XOM.

If you want your XML to be serialized with a specific encoding, you pass that encoding to the nu.xom.Serializer. If the encoding is supported (see Serializer API), it will put it in the declaration.

is this the example I am supposed to look at?

https://xom.dev.java.net/source/browse/xom/src/nu/xom/samples/EncodingDemo.java?rev=HEAD&only_with_tag=MAIN

Thanks

Luca