xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XInclusion produdes invalid document

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XInclusion produdes invalid document
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:59:47 -0500

Elliotte Harold scripsit:

> That document includes a lot of relative URLs that point at other
> documents on http://www.cafeaulait.org/. Including it on
> http://www.example.org/ where those documents do not exist should not
> break the links. The goal is that a relative URL not change what it
> points to just because an element is included.

Sometimes you want it to, and sometimes you don't. The XML Core WG spent
quite a lot of time trying to reconcile these views, and eventually decided
to favor the "relative URLs mean what their original context says they mean"
view. People who use relative URLs for the sake of transportability aren't
going to be happy with this, but it can't be helped.

Nothing prohibits you, ERH, from adding a feature that provides
non-conformant-
but-useful-to-some behavior, however.

--
John Cowan jcowan AT reutershealth.com www.ccil.org/~cowan