xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XInclusion produdes invalid document

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Andrew Thompson <lordpixel AT mac.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XInclusion produdes invalid document
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 03:22:33 -0500

Andrew Thompson wrote:

Sometimes my document might be at

http://pixel.recoil.org/index.html

sometimes it might be at:

http://staging-server.local/index.html

and sometimes

file:///My Desktop/staging/index.html

and sometimes

file:///My Laptop/web bits/index.html

It is possible in the we architecture for a single resource to have multiple URIs. However, I don't think this is the case here. Unless these servers and file systems are essentially views of each other such that changing one simultaneously changes the other three, then these are different resources with different URLs that happen to emit the same representations. They are not normally the same resource.

Some of these might be the same resource if, for example, pixel.recoil.org is a DNS alias for staging-server.local or the server on pixel.recoil.org maps /My Desktop/staging/ to the root of the files its serving, but if these are not the same systems then these are not the same resources, even if the representations are bit-per-bit identical. The URI identifies the resource, not the representation.