xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] Alpha 2

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: "'Elliotte Harold'" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: 'xom-interest' <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] Alpha 2
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:37:42 -0000

> Using XPath to do arithmetic and
> string manipulation inside a Java program is the wrong thing.

I think that retrieving a list of 20000 nodes into your application, when
all you wanted to know was how many there were, is the wrong thing. If the
XPath engine is accessing a database then it's catastrophically wrong: you
should push as much of the processing to the database as possible.

But I have to admit, I've been finding that writing real applications by
calling out from Java to XPath is very tedious and I'm not sure it's the
right way to go. I've been finding it much easier to write the bulk of the
application in XSLT and call out where necessary to Java.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/