xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Nux 1.0 rc2 problem

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Nux 1.0 rc2 problem
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:30:38 -0500

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

Hmm, weird.

The xom.jar shipped with nux is from XOM 1.1 CVS where class nu.xom.Node imports Jaxen as those are needed in it's XPath query() methods. I always thought that unless one uses those methods, the Jaxen jar files would be optional. Turns out not to be the case - they are always needed. Probably because they are part of the public interface and perhaps used by java to calculate a unique ID of its public API.

Anyway, you can download the jaxen-1.1* lib from XOM's CVS: https://xom.dev.java.net/source/browse/xom/lib/

To Elliotte: Is it really intended that XOM users need the jaxen jars even if they don't use them? Any known work-around?

No and no. I'm as surprised by this as you are. Is it really true that one can't separate out the Jaxen Jars and ignore the query method? I'll have to test that. I deliberately do not expose any of Jaxen in the XOM public API. I also want to avoid requiring the ICU jar for people to don't use it. That's also quite large (though ditching that dependency and writing my own NFC code is on the TODO list, simply because I don't want to carry around that extra jar)

When does Java calculate a unique ID of its public API? Is this some serialization thing?