xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] CDATA sections

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: "'New, Cecil (GE Trans)'" <cecil.new AT ae.ge.com>, "'Elliotte Harold'" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>, "'Arjan Huijzer'" <huijzer AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: XOM-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] CDATA sections
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:36:34 -0000

> I discovered pretty quickly that by wrapping HTML in a CDATA
> section I would
> improve the readability and presentation

The purpose of CDATA is to indicate that things that appear to be markup are
not really markup at all. Using CDATA when the things inside it actually
*are* markup is liable to get everyone very confused. That doesn't mean it
should never be done; but it shouldn't be encouraged.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/