xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Text.java path for optional builds

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Text.java path for optional builds
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:18:56 -0500

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

BTW, is there any particular reason that such a UTF8Serializer would need to be public? Perhaps the standard serializer can just look at the option values given to the serializer, and if they are such that the your scheme applies (e.g. equal to the defaults), it could just delegate to an internal UTF8 specific class. The advantage is that the user sees the same old API and semantics, and optimizations are purely internal.

I looked at that, but it really doesn't fit the current design. Figuring out how this interacts with a subclass that overrides some but not all methods is particularly troublesome. Possibly I could do this with by swapping in and out a different TextWriter, but that only removes some of the redundant code, not all of it.