xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Text.java path for optional builds

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Text.java path for optional builds
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:06:49 -0800

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:06:36 -0500, Elliotte Harold
<elharo AT metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> Actually testing every line
> of code in XOM requires running on at least two platforms and with at
> least two different versions of Java, possibly more. JUnit doesn't
> really handle this very well. or at all. :-( If we add this I'd like to
> be able to automatically run all tests with both versions of the Text
> class. I'm not sure how easy that would be to do. It would roughly
> double the amount of time required to run the test suite though.

The deployment framework I work on (smartfrog, http://smartfrog.org/ )
can deploy junit test runners on arbitrary machines, with tests
collated wherever you want. So you can do distributed Junit -we use it
for functional testing of distributed systems. But you do need the
multiple systems, which means real machines or VM images (vmware, Xen,
etc). So it is not an easy exercise, and nowhere as simple as running
junit from an ant build. You can do it all from ant, but there is more
setup overhead. You dont really want to go there, unless you are doing
a distributed system.

Gump tests xom on java1.4+1.5, and, gradually, on the gnu
classpath/kaffe runtime too. If anyone wanted to donate hardware to
the gump project (they really need a windows box, funnily enough), I'm
sure it'd be welcome.

Steve.