xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] DOMConverter performance regression

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] DOMConverter performance regression
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 07:16:52 -0400

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
BTW, converting a XOM document to a DOM document is currently twice as slow as it was in xom-1.0d25 (which was before the non-recursive "experiment"):

DOMConverterCVS:
Builder.build took [s] = 41.969
xom -> dom took [s] = 43.072
dom -> xom took [s] = 28.727

DOMConverterD25:
Builder.build took [s] = 39.113
xom -> dom took [s] = 22.135
dom -> xom took [s] = 28.608

I whipped up a variation on this problem based on the same data you sent. My G5 can do the conversion in under 20 seconds, so Moore's law has already fixed this problem. :-)

Seriously, one thing I did notice was that this system uses a lot of memory. With Xerces as the DOM implementation both the XOM and the DOM models take about 4-5 times the actual size of this document so it's possible you're getting some garbage collection pauses or VM thrashing. How much memory did you allocate to this?

I'll see if I can find any other hot spots.