xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Beta 6

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Beta 6
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:28:34 -0400

Beta 6 is now available from the usual location:

http://cafeconleche.org/XOM/

I had hoped this would be the first release candidate, but since the last release I've uncovered a number of significant bugs that needed to be squashed including the first well-formedness errors found in months. In brief XOM wasn't always escaping line breaks, ampersands, less than signs and other such characters found in the internal DTD subset in attribute default values and internal entity replacement text. This has now been fixed.

Other significant changes and bug fixes in this release include:

The deprecated setNodeFactory() method in XSLTransform has been removed. This is the only API-level change in this release.

The strings returned by toString in Comment, ProcessingInstruction, Attribute, and Text are now all truncated if they get too long. Furthermore any embedded line breaks and tabs are escaped as \n, \r, and \t. This makes the objects easier to inspect in various debuggers and loggers.

SAXConverter no longer converts XOM xml:base attributes into SAX attributes. Instead the xml:base attributes are used to determine the URI information the Locator reports. Providing xml:base attributes as well would risk double counting some relative URLs.

Fixed a number of bugs when converting file names to base URIs that were introduced with the performance improvements in build(File) in beta 5.

Improved compatibility with Turkish locales that do not treat I as the upper case form of i or vice versa.

Fixed a bug in Serializer that did not always properly trim whitespace

Hid the error messages logged by Xerces and Xalan on System.err when deliberately testing error conditions. Therefore, there should be no output from the test cases when all tests pass.

Added a junithtml build target to convert JUnit results to HTML.

The Ant build file now specifies that the input encoding of all .java files is UTF-8. Most files are pure ASCII, but there are a couple of places where non-ASCII characters are used.

Unit test coverage has been improved.

Please check out this release. If no one spots any major problems, I'll probably announce it more broadly on Monday.