xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Indexed compressed jar harmful to class loading speed

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Janek Bogucki <janekdb AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Indexed compressed jar harmful to class loading speed
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:47:33 +0000 (GMT)

I ran the same classloading benchmark with two versions of the the xom jar

jar A: compressed, no index
jar B: compressed, with index (META-INF/INDEX.LIST)

Note: the distributed jar is uncompressed; see previous posting.

Once again I think the motivation for using the index option for the jar was
to improve class

This is the result of running ClassesLoader 20 times with each jar. Times are
in milliseconds.
ClassesLoader was executed in a loop hence the pairings which are otherwise
insignificant. The sum
of the times is at the bottom.

jar A jar B

449 446
436 450
451 441
442 454
438 438
449 444
437 450
444 439
442 454
439 445
449 443
396 450
442 399
445 446
438 447
444 443
444 450
443 439
444 447
440 448

8812 8873

Adding an index to the jar is harmful in this situation. In fact indexes are
intended to be added
to the root jar of a set of jars used by an applet. I doubt xom will ever be
used as the root jar
of an applet. As it stands the xom jar is an uncompressed jar with an index
is a curious beast
indeed, at least from an applet's point of view.

I suggest the removal of the index unless it serves a purpose other than
class loading
optimization (which it fails to do).

-Janek

  • [XOM-interest] Indexed compressed jar harmful to class loading speed, Janek Bogucki, 03/24/2004