xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Last call warning

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: jcowan AT reutershealth.com
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Last call warning
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:25:44 -0500

At 4:30 PM -0500 3/11/04, jcowan AT reutershealth.com wrote:

A general doco comment: protected methods should explain whether the
subclass must, should, or may call the superclass method, and what it does.
I infer that the provided check* methods do nothing and (so) need not be
called, but it would be nice to actually know that.

The number of protected method has been greatly reduced in CVS with the elimination of 21 check methods. I think the largest remaining cache of them is probably in Serializer. I don't think there are any cases where an overriding method must or must not call the superclass method. Given that, I prefer not to state this explicitly on each method's JavaDoc. Perhaps it's worth a FAQ entry though?

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)