xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Subclassing and check methods

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Subclassing and check methods
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:20:28 -0500

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> I've started implementing this and I did find one hitch. The
> replaceChild and removeChildren methods are no longer guaranteedly
> atomic because I can't check whether one will succeed without
> actually calling it as I could with checkRemoveChild and
> checkInsertChild. So far I don't see an easy way around this.

I don't understand this about atomicity. If you mean that overridden
versions of these in subclasses may not be atomic, it's true -- but
they may be inherently doing things, like inserting dummy elements,
that aren't going to be atomic. AFAICT, the superclass method will
still be atomic.

--
John Cowan jcowan AT reutershealth.com www.reutershealth.com
www.ccil.org/~cowan