xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0d23 Last Call

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0d23 Last Call
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:16:56 -0500

I am pleased to announce the release of XOM 1.0d23. You can download it from the usual location:

http://www.cafeconleche.org/XOM/

This is the *LAST CALL* development release of XOM 1.0. The next release will be 1.0 alpha 1, at which point I will declare API freeze and rule out gratuitous, backwards incompatible changes in the API until at least 2.0 (at some point in the indefinite future). If there are any method names or signatures that bother you in XOM, now is the time to let me know. I do plan some future releases, 1.0.1, 1.1, 1.2, etc. to add features and improve performance. However, I don't want to change the existing API after alpha 1 without a very good reason.

There are several big changes in this release. Most notably, the various makeNode() methods in the NodeFactory class all return Nodes objects. This means a factory can replace one node type with a different node type (e.g. changing elements into attributes and vice versa) or replace a single node with several nodes.

IllegalDataException and its subclasses have getData and setData methods to get and set the exact text that caused the exception. Subclasses include IllegalNameException, IllegalTargetException, and IllegalCharacterDataException. IllegalCharacterDataException is now used where IllegalDataException was used previously.

NamespaceException has been broken up. IllegalNameException is used for problems with a namespace prefix. MalformedURIException is used for problems with a namespace URI. NamespaceConflictException, a subclass of WellformednessException, is used for cases where attributes, elements, and/or additional namespace declarations have conflicting bindings for the same prefix.

Support for the November 2003 Working Draft syntax of XInclude, including the xpointer, accept, accept-charset, and accept-language attributes. Documents will need to be rewritten to use the new syntax. In keeping with the terminology in the new working draft, MissingHrefException has been renamed NoIncludeLocationException. CircularIncludeExcepion has been renamed InclusionLoopException. The methods that resolve Nodes objects have been marked private.

Added support for GB18030 (Chinese) and ISO-8859-11/TIS-620 (Thai) encoding on output (requires Java 1.4)

All legacy JDOM code has been replaced. The XOM code base is now completely independent code. (There never was much JDOM code in the first place, just parts of the Verifier class, but these parts have now all been replaced with different, faster algorithms based on table lookup.)

Other changes are listed on the web page. Happy hacking!

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/effectivexml http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0321150406/ref%3Dnosim/cafeaulaitA