xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM API stability

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Krueger, Carsten" <ckr AT ti.com>, "'xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM API stability
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:02:58 -0500

At 5:48 PM +0100 11/12/03, Krueger, Carsten wrote:
Hi,

I wonder how stable the XOM API is. Are there any predictable changes
in the next versions ?

Good question. I just posted 1.0d22 which included almost all of the last the breaking API changes before 1.0. There are still two possible changes on my radar screen:

1. XInclude may be deleted from the API, at least from the supported part. Possibly I'll move it into the samples. The latest working draft has made me seriously question its stability, and I'm not sure I want to bake it into the core of XOM until there's a stable spec out there.

2. The NodeFactory class may be revised to return Nodes objects instead of specific types. This would allow it to perform more powerful filtering and modification of documents while streaming. For instance, attributes could be changed into elements, or one element could be changed into several. I'm not sure this is a good idea. I need to experiment with it first.

Thes two are the only changes I can foresee. Possibly somebody else may yet discover hidden flaws in the API that require changes, but I'm feeling increasingly comfortable with the basic API. The current release plan is:

1.0d23: Add support for new 2003 XInclude syntax
1.0d24: Revise NodeFactory to be more flexible
Alpha 1: API freeze
Perform serious optimization and measurement
Complete build system
Beta 1: Feature complete, all known bugs squashed
1.0: All documentation complete; code cleaned up to follow various guidelines

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)