xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Extra white space escaping to preserve the infoset

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Extra white space escaping to preserve the infoset
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 19:25:50 -0400

At 5:32 PM -0400 7/9/03, John Cowan wrote:

Because I'm a {Unix,Windows,Mac} weenie and I want to make sure that the
output meets the {Unix,Windows,Mac} conventions for plain text; i.e.
I expect that the next processing stage is not necessarily XML-aware.

Well, yes but unless you call setMaxLength() or setIndent() there'll be hardly any line breaks that weren't present in the source infoset. If you need line breaks for the next process, you'll either call setMaxLength or put them into your infoset. And if you do put them in the infoset for their use as linebreaks in a non-XML aware downstream process, then you probably do want them converted to the current line separator.

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA