xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Extra white space escaping to preserve the infoset

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Extra white space escaping to preserve the infoset
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:35:14 -0400

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:
> At 3:42 PM -0400 7/9/03, John Cowan wrote:
> >Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:
> >
> >> The default will be for the serializer not to change the infoset in
> >> any way. However, if user tells the serializer to adjust the infoset
> >> as regards white space, then in my opinion they have said that white
> >> space is not significant.

[snip]

> d18 is doing everything except 1 and 2. d19 will do all of this.

Good. Then the remaining point is whether setting the line terminator is
"tell[ing] the serializer to adjust the infoset as regards white space".
I contend that it is not, and that the default mode should remain
in effect.

--
John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
http://www.reutershealth.com http://www.ccil.org/~cowan