xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Extra white space escaping to preserve the infoset

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Bradley S. Huffman" <hip AT cs.okstate.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Extra white space escaping to preserve the infoset
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:50:11 -0400

At 9:50 AM -0500 7/8/03, Bradley S. Huffman wrote:

Okay, again, then forget what the serializer says the line seperator is
and always escape. If you convert line breaks in attribute values to
whatever the serializer says is the current line seperator, what does the
end user gain? It displays better in Notepad?

The basic idea is that if the user has told the serializer to change the white space, then it will. However, if the user has not told the serializer to change the white space, then it won't.

Possibly what all this needs is a couple more options on the serializer to more explicitly control how data is serialized. Yuck. This a really messy part of XML. I think anything we do here is likely to be ugly.

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA