xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "O'Brien-Strain, Eamonn" <eob AT exch.hpl.hp.com>, "'xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:26:42 -0400

Interesting. I'll have to look at this. A couple of things I noticed at first glance:

1. XOM handles external entities. Sparta doesn't. This is a big difference for some files. Looking at the API, it's not clear what happens when you do hit an unresolved entity. Is there any representation of this in the tree? or do you just throw it away? or throw an exception?

2. According to your web site., "Sparta ignores namespaces. <a:Foo> and <b:Foo> are treated as if ":" was a normal tag character. These will be considered different tags even though strictly speaking there is a possibility that the a: and b: namespace have the same URI. (The Thermopylae wrapper does however support namespaces.)"

This is so wrong. It rules Sparta out for so many applications. In 2003, without namespace support, I have to say an API is DOA. It's unclear how you can claim to support any of XPath, since XPath is completely dependent on namespaces. XPath, XSLT, XInclude, SVG, RDF, Schemas, XHTML, XLink, XQuery, and so many more all depend on namespaces.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |