xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Re: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS: [xml-dev] XOM

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: elharo AT metalab.unc.edu (Elliotte Rusty Harold)
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Re: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS: [xml-dev] XOM
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:14:06 -0400 (EDT)

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> What I'm really looking for is a solution that will cleanly solve the
> use-case while hiding the implementation ugliness inside the API. I
> could live with a malformed document or one with a fake root,
> provided there was no way to actually get a reference to such a thing.

The trouble is that the Document to be inserted may have been hand-rolled
and not Builder-built. So to solve the general case you may have to allow
the user to keep his handle to the Document, and so the Document has to
represent WF XML. But it does not have to be *useful* after the document
element is detached.

A slightly different approach: allow detaching of the root element with
detach(), but side-effect the Document when you see that it's the parent.

--
If you have ever wondered if you are in hell, John Cowan
it has been said, then you are on a well-traveled