xom-interest - Re: OT: Exceptions Re: [XOM-interest] design principles

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Henri Yandell <bayard AT generationjava.com>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Exceptions Re: [XOM-interest] design principles
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 23:36:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> At 6:00 PM -0400 9/20/02, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> Bloch certainly wouldn't say this should be a runtime exception.
> Eckel, I'm not sure. Since you were feeding external, environmental
> data into the system, it was not correct to assume that it met the
> preconditions. This should have been handled by a checked exception.

I can see why it wasn't though as it was in utililty class, devoid of
context. I can easily forsee two developers working together having
created the situation.

> And of course, you can catch runtime exceptions if you think they're
> possible. You just don't have to if you're sure they're not.

This is probably the lacking in the API, the docs should have listed the
RuntimeExceptions it throws. I however doubt that Java developers will
check each method of an API for RuntimeExceptions more than they will
write empty catch blocks.

I want to agree with many RuntimeEx's, but it sounds like a far more
painful environment to work in..

Hen