xom-interest - [XOM-interest] General comment and specific question concerning element lookup

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Hallvard Tr�tteberg" <hal AT idi.ntnu.no>
  • To: <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] General comment and specific question concerning element lookup
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:32:51 +0200

Hi,

I've been using JDOM for quite a while and have enjoyed using it, both
directly and by subclassing the main classes (Document, Element and
Attribute). JDOM has so far been the API I've required my students to learn
and use. Based on the slides, it seems XOM has most of the advantages of
JDOM while avoiding some of its complexity, and I'm really looking forward
to see if it can replace JDOM for my work.

As a start I've written a Swing TreeModel for XOM, which was fairly easy (as
for JDOM). There were two kinds of methods I missed, one for returning the
number of Element children of an Element (without going through Elements
getChildElements), the other for Element lookup, e.g.
Element.indexOfElement(Element e) or TreeNode.indexOfNode(Node n), to find
the position of a child node. Have you considered implementing such
functions (I guess both are relevant)?

The most important (for me, that is) JDOM dependent packages I've written
are:
- IdDocument (and IdElement, IdAttribute), which keep track of IDs in a
document,
to support faster lookup (and the id function in XPath)
- NotifyingDocument (and NotifyingElement, NotifyingAttribute), which
supports listening to changes in the document.
- RhinoDocument (and RhinoElement), which makes Elements scriptable
according to the rules of Rhino, GNU's Javascript implementation.

I'll try to port them to XOM and see how easy it is, and perhaps also take a
stab at a Jaxen XPath Navigator.

Hallvard Trætteberg, 1. amanuensis ved IDI, NTNU
http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~hal, mailto:hal AT idi.ntnu.no, phone:+47 7359 3443