wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 18:24:02 -0500

Hi everyone,

Here's what we have coming up this week:

Tonight's Inside Track is the latest release from Baltimore singer and producer Ami Dang. This is her sophomore album, and much like her first, it's a complex and satisfying electronic pop record. She draws inspiration from ancient Indian texts, Bollywood films and American pop music, creating dense, hypnotic beats using vocal loops, sitar and electronics. Singing in both English and Punjabi, her native language, she relates lyrics that both draw from her personal life and adapt and interpret hymns from Sikh scriptures. Hukam, her debut album, has been one of the highlights of our station's library since it came out and we're proud to present her sophomore effort to you.

Monday's Outside Track brings the abstracted midi wonderlands of Typhonian Highlife's The World of Shells. You may recognize him as Spencer Clark or as his work with James Ferraro as The Skaters, but the music of Typhonian Highlife is it's own beast. Clark draws on mysticism and dreams to create his soundscapes, containing flavors of spiritual jazz and new age music that when blended with the crisp, synthetic sounds of his keyboard give it an alien and floating quality--reviewers have thrown terms like “alien exotica” and “dream symphonies” to describe it. There was a lot of high-concept postmodern thought that went into this, referencing everything from Darth Maul and Hellraiser to Joscelyn Godwin and Zulu Mythology in liner notes and interviews. But, even divorced from its conceptual underpinnings this is a gorgeous and intoxicating record.