wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 20:30:48 -0500

Hi all,

Big thank you to all those who made it to the WXYCzine release party at the Nightlight last night! It was truly a fun and invigorating evening. If you didn’t get a chance to pick up a zine last night, perhaps you’ll stumble across one somewhere on UNC’s campus or in a local record store near you….

In addition to the release of zines, WXYC also has some exciting programming lined up for this upcoming week. Check it out:

Tune in tomorrow for a more somber edition of Hell or High Water, WXYC's brainchild with UNC Wilson Library's Southern Folklife Collection. We are sorry to report that "pioneering musician, banjoist, artist, writer, raconteur, and friend of the Southern Folklife Collection, Billy Faier, passed away on January 29 in Alpine, Texas." From 1 to 2pm, we will be celebrating his life and music, featuring the albums Banjo, The Art of the Five String Banjo, and Travelin' Man. Check out the Southern Folklife Collection's blog, Field Trip South, to read in-depth tributes and posts about Billy Faier, his music and beyond. While it is sad that we are only now after his passing featuring his music, the nature of a library is to preserve people's immortality, in a way, by preserving out of time their contributions and works. And so, we hope that through music, Faier and other great musicians will, metaphorically speaking, never really die.

Fusion Youth Radio, WXYC's premier specialty show led by a diverse group of high school students on special topics, returns to the airwaves tomorrow as well. Tomorrow’s installment, beginning at 5pm, is titled "The Eye of the Storm: Global Revolutions"! The students will be discussing global revolutions, religious extremism, and the contemporary refugee crisis. FYR is a collaborative program between the Marion C. Jackson Center, Sacrificial Poets, Blackspace, and WXYC. This program recruits Chapel Hill/Carrboro high school youth to create a journalistic show based on a topic of their choosing. This programs enriches youth with audio and journalism skills, while broadening their understanding on diverse topics.

Catch the Outside Track on Monday at 9pm to hear Belgian experimental space psych rockers Bart De Paepe's latest release Solitary Moon. Fuzz out into dark dissonance and burning slow jammers.

And tune in to the Thursday Night Feature, this Thursday from 9pm to midnight, for an exploration of the lineup of this year's Moogfest. The festival, recently relocated to Durham, features both musicians who employ Moog instruments and who embody Bob Moog’s visionary and creative spirit. You'll hear music ranging from the cosmic jazz of Sun Ra to the orchestrated electronics of Floating Points to punishing doom metal from The Body and everything in between, as well as selections from locally-based acts like Daniel Bachman and Earthly. Listen as we we try to cram all of this year's highlights into three hours of music.