wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 19:33:41 -0400

Hey everyone,

The weekend is here again, which means it’s time for me to tell you about programming we have coming up on WXYC this week! Look at all this sweet stuff:

Tonight at 9pm on the Inside Track, be sure to catch the deep, moody, minimal ambient techno from Body Boys with their new Opal Tapes release, No Face. Expect, big, pulsating, driving beats on top of tense ambience. These are excellent Fall lite bangers for sure.

Tonight's New Science Experience, 10pm to midnight, will be broadcasting live from the Wild at Night party at the Carrboro ArtsCenter. Tune in to hear excerpts of live experimental electronic sets from Glacial and C/\L/\PSE. Check out this facebook event page for more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/649228895213588/

Tune in to our folk speciality show Orange County Special this Sunday from 11am to 1pm for folk tunes from North Carolina and beyond.

On this Sunday’s Hell or High Water, airing from 1 to 2pm, DJ and resident bad man Cooper Bucket M will be taking y'all on a Southern Journey with the Southern Folklife Collection's "Southern Journey Vol. 5: Bad Man Ballads." Get ready to play those heart strings, y'all!

You can catch Broken Music right after that, this Sunday from 2-3pm, to listen to excerpts from two recent recordings from the prolific and talented Icelandic electronics experimenter Sigtryggur Berg Sigmarsson. Sigmarsson has been recording and performing as part of the longtime Reykjavik experimental music outfit Stilluppsteypa for over 20 years but recently has focused on creating abstract and challenging solos pieces on labels like Chocolate Monk, Bottrop Boy, Helen Scarsdale Agency, Ultra Eczema, Hanson, Bennifer Editions, Korm Plastics and Trente Oiseaux. We will listen to exciting new excerpts from both a solo CD on Helen Scarsdale from earlier this spring and a brand new collaborative LP with the Swedish field recording manipulator BJ Nilsen.

Tune in to the Backyard BBQ this week for an hour long block of local tunes. Sunday from 8 to 9pm.

This week on Sports Rap, co-hosts Femi and Diego will tackle a plethora of sports and sports-adjacent news. Have we seen the best of Peyton Manning? What's the greatest basketball movie of all time? How bout them heels? No really, how are they doing? Check it out on Sunday from 9 to 10pm.

On the Outside Track, Monday at 9pm, explore the dream-like underbelly of ambient pop with F Inger's new release, Hide Before Dinner. Deep synthesizer, gentle guitars and plenty of wtf noises set a sub-aquatic aural landscape in this release of structureless sound experiments. Sure to be a hit amongst fans of Grouper and the like!

And on this week’s Thursday Night Special, Thursday from 9pm to midnight, you can catch music from Greece, which has seen a growing scene of quality sludge and desert rock. What started as a couple of low-key sessions bands around 2008 has turned into a distinct and thriving community, all against the background of political and economic turmoil.