wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 21:16:14 +0000

So, after a year of worming my way into yr inbox after Friday afternoon for a year, my time is done. But fear not, dear listener, for you shall find a new guide on your weekly foray into the world of college radio. From now on, expect to hear from a DJ known simply as 'Grant.' Until then, let me tell you about some tunes.

Tonight on the Inside Track at 9pm, tune in for Karen Gwyer's "Needs Continuum" out on No Pain In Pop. The Milwaukee-born but London-based electronic musician puts a strong beat underneath her electronic work and layers her manipulated voice on top. The result is something that is always building, searching for more, and it sounds like a more beat-oriented Shackleton or another direction Emeralds could have taken if they didn't get in that Delorean back to the 80s. One track at a time, this is a really gripping listen.

Then keep it locked right here at 10pm for the NSE. This week on the New Science Experience "Heavy Contact" DJs Dirty Gypsy and Hennesey are on deck duty, Mike S hosts from the hot seat. Special guest is producer The Noble K - a connoisseur of strange and heavy bass music, fine cigars, and stark gin.

Sunday at 10am on the Orange County Special, as per the first Sunday of every month, Jane will be hosting OCS.T his week, we'll have a special treat for our listeners, we'll be giving away a pair of tickets for Alice Gerrard's CD release show at the ArtsCenter.

Then, Sunday at 1pm on Heel or High Water, Ryan R will be doing Hell or High Water this week, and he will play selections from Every Tone A Testimony, which is an aural history of African-American life put out on Smithsonian Folkways.  Selections will include music, speeches, and spoken word pieces, with an emphasis on variety in time and genre.

This week on the SportsRap, Sunday at 8pm, the panel dives into a full slate of basketball, as they continue their analysis of the first round  of the NBA playoffs. Plus the panel gets into off the court matters, discussing the week in sports. All that on this week's Sportsrap.

Finally, Monday on the Outside Track, tune in for Cactus Truck featuring Jeb Bishop & Roy Campbell's new album "Live in USA" out on eh? and Tractata.
Dutch sax/electric bass/drums trio Cactus Truck teams up with Raleigh-based trombonist Jeb Bishop (Angels of Epistemology and Vandermark 5, among other things) and NYC trumpeter Roy Campbell. Is this the most subtle thing we've ever heard? NO. Is this really intense and impressive and noisy free jazz that will help you get over this monday? HYFR.

It's been fun,
JJ