wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 18:33:30 +0000

Is anybody else following the world chess candidates tournament? No? Nobody? Oh, well, uh, how about them Heels, then?

Tonight (Friday) at 9pm on the Inside Track, check out the Black Twig Pickers with 'Rough Carpenters' on Thrill Jockey. The 6th album from the Black Twig Pickers, an old-time string band based mostly in Southwest Virginia who have collaborated with Jack Rose and Charlie Parr. It's a mixture of driving dance numbers and slow, stately tunes that reallyemphasize the dronelike quality of old-time music, and they’ve expanded their usual trio – Isaak Howell and Pelt members Nathan Bowles and Mike Gangloff – to include fiddler Sally Anne Morgan.

Stay tuned at 10pm for the NSE, which will feature 2 hours of live-mixed beat-oriented music. It'll be a good soundtrack for basketball.

Sunday at 2pm, Broken Music this week will focus on the long and innovative career of Australian composer, improviser and instrument builder Ernie Althoff. Since the mid-70s Althoff has been created hundreds of unique instruments and composed scores for other improvisers on his instruments in addition to creating large installations all over Australia and Europe based on his inventions. We will spend the hour immersing ourselves in excerpts from a battery of live and studio recordings featuring Althoff exploring the nature of acoustic sound through the lens of his homemade instruments.

Sunday at 8pm on SportsRap, the panel is going to talk about the unfolding drama that is March Madness, ACC version. Tune in for the last ever fast-paced ACC tournament before the snowstorm that is Syracuse basketball joins the conference. We'll talk about our Heels and, just throwing this out there, the word 'inconsistent' will be used a lot. And then, we'll preview the field of all 68 teams that are lucky or (in Creighton's case) plucky enough to be competing for a chance to hang out at DisneyLand with Justin Bieber for a whole week! Oh and if there's time, SportsRap will focus on other sports, such as professional basketball, too. SLAMDUNK.

Then at 10pm, we will continue Sarafina May's exploration of the influence of Portuguese music on Cape Verdean, Brazilian, and Angolan music.

Then Monday at 9pm on the Outside Track, we got the Yoni Kretzmer 2bass Quartet's new album 'Weight' out now on Out Now. Tune in for the young but very talented Israeli saxophonist Kretzmer and his enjoyable set of new quartet pieces featuring an unorthodox grouping of two upright bassists (Sean Conly and Reuben Radding) and a drummer (Mike Pride), all of whom are American and none of whom have worked with Kretzmer before. Kretzmer’s horn work is pretty fiery, intense and enjoyable and the idea of the accompaniment of two bassists leads to some pretty cool results.

Checkmate,
JJ