wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 14:01:13 -0400

What if we partied like it was the turn of the millennium? Would you want it that way? Tell me why!!

I bring up my penchant for the Backstreet Boys (They're back, alright?) not because no-shame November is just around the corner, but instead because WXYC is hosting the 00's dance TONIGHT at 9:30 pm at Chapel Hill Underground (CHUG) on E Rosemary St. You should really dance to our tunes.

Speaking of tunes, dancing, CHUG and you, on Sunday we are hosting our monthly Backyard BBQ LIVE at CHUG. Food at 5 and music at 6. This month's bands are Toddlers and Waumiss. Local Pride, yo!

And now that we have the WXYC music-related news out of the way, onto the music-related WXYC news:

Tonight at 9pm on the Inside Track, check out the new Vampisoul compilation entitled Cumbia Beat Volume 2.
More Peruvian cumbias from the 60s-80s, which blend traditional melodies with rock instrumentation and psychedelic surf influences. For fans of the excellent Roots of Chicha comps.

This Sunday's Broken Music features French avant garde collective Un Drame Musical Instantané. Formed in 1976 by Jean-Jacques Birgé, Bernard Vitet, and Francis Gorgé, the group trod the line between composition and improvisation, performing new scores to silent films and building works for larger orchestras. Their performances often relied on the juxtaposition of acoustic and electronic elements, as well as homemade instruments built by Vitet, an experience the group described as "blind cinema". Show starts at 2pm.

A special night for SportsRap, as this Sunday marks the return of the NBA Preview show. Picking up were they left off in June, the panel will preview the contenders, give predictions and discuss anything NBA-related that they stray upon (and most likely, the 76ers). But before the panel gets to the NBA, they'll also discuss the outcome to the UNC-NCSU football game this Saturday, complete with analysis and quotes. All that and more this Sunday on the SportsRap. Tune in at 9pm.

Stay tuned at 10 for the NSE when Philip R and Steph R are hosting NSE this Sunday, playing bass n uk garage like they like to do.

Then Monday at 9pm on the Outside Track, prepare to get spooked for Evan's Halloween show, kickin' off with the self-titled Safiyya rekease on Kelippah.
Safiyya is a recent collaboration by NYC noise maker Pat Murano (NNCK, Decimus, K-Salvatore) and Oklahoma experimental electronics guru Brad Rose (North Sea, Altar Eagle) and it is totally zany but really neat synth-noise experiments a la Demdike Stare, Vibracathedral Orchestra, Keith Fullerton Whitman).

Don't forget to vote,
JJ