wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This week: PROTEST SONGS FROM THE REAGAN ERA, GAMBLERS' BLUES and more!

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This week: PROTEST SONGS FROM THE REAGAN ERA, GAMBLERS' BLUES and more!
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:23:57 -0400 (EDT)

WXYC 89.3 FM - in Chapel Hill and live on the Web at http://www.wxyc.org

Schedule in brief, scroll down for details:
Thursday, 9 p.m.-midnight: PROTEST SONGS FROM THE REAGAN ERA on the
Thursday Night Feature
Sunday, 1 p.m.: GAMBLERS' BLUES on Hell or High Water

PROTEST SONGS FROM THE REAGAN ERA on the Thursday Night Feature, Sunday
8-9 p.m.
Join hosts Ethan and Phaedra as they bring you a celebration of the life
and wisdom of President Ronald Reagan, from the Moral Majority, the
October Surprise and Iran-Contra to the early days of AIDS and Afghan
religious extremists (or were those Freedom Fighters?). Reagan has left
us a rich legacy of song, from the obvious (Suicidal Tendencies - "I Shot
Reagan") to the obscure (A.P.P.L.E. - "Impeach Reagan") We'll be playing
as many of them as we can find, and you'll also hear some words from "the
Great Communicator" himself.

GAMBLERS' BLUES on Hell or High Water, Sunday 1 p.m.
This week we'll be featuring blues music, mainly from the pre-war era,
about gambling. Gambling is the subject of hundreds of blues tunes, and
we'll be hearing some of the best concerning numbers, policy, roulette,
craps, gambling amulets and other subjects. Only a few of the artists
included will be Blind Willie Mctell, Tampa Red, and the Mississippi
Sheiks.

Also this week and every week:
-ORANGE COUNTY SPECIAL: traditional and neo-traditional music of the
world, Sunday 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
-BROKEN MUSIC: longer, more "difficult" pieces, Sunday 2-3 p.m.
-INDYMEDIA NEWS: news/talk show produced by the North Carolina Independent
Media Center, every other Sunday 6-7 p.m.
-SUNDAY SURPRISE: you never know what you're going to get! Sunday 7-8 p.m.
-BACKYARD BARBEQUE: current music from North Carolina's finest, as well as
older records from the region, Sunday 8-9 p.m.
-SPORTS RAP: live UNC sports talk, Sunday 9-10 p.m.
-NEW SCIENCE EXPERIENCE: a live electronic mix, Sunday 10 p.m.-12 a.m.
-THE NEW MUSIC SHOW: spotlight on new releases right out of the mail bin,
Monday 9-10 p.m.
-INSIDE TRACK: a new release is played in full, Wednesday 9 p.m.

WXYC 89.3 FM
http://www.wxyc.org

--

  • [wxyc-announce] This week: PROTEST SONGS FROM THE REAGAN ERA, GAMBLERS' BLUES and more!, wxyc-announce, 06/17/2004