wikiworld - Re: [Wiki World] a metric for community

wikiworld AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: WikiWorld

  • From: Angela <beesley AT gmail.com>
  • To: WikiWorld <wikiworld AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Wiki World] a metric for community
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:04:23 +1000

On 9/29/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher AT gmail.com> wrote:
> My thoughts:
>
> * Wiki community = editing community (not including readers)

Although the readers aren't part of the community, they're still
important in many wikis. Although some wikis may be aimed purely at
the editing community, others are written with the intention of being
read, so the ratio of readers to editors is interesting in
highlighting how well the wiki is promoted beyond it's editing group
and how good it is at drawing in editors from that groups of readers.

> * Metric: number of edits? Size of edits? (bytes) interaction with
> other users? Number of edits seems to be the most useful measure to
> me.

I'd like to add "range of edits". Some wikis have very different
editing patterns where someone will regularly edit a single page or
small group of pages but never even look at the rest of the site. I'm
guessing AboutUs might be one example where many (most?) people keep
an eye on the page(s) about their own website but aren't part of the
community and have no involvement in the meta side of the project
(developing policies, reverting vandalism on pages that aren't
"theirs", interacting with other users, etc).

Angela