wheatsville - [Wheatsville] April showers bring a project! Plus specials and Earth Day!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.com>
  • To: Wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] April showers bring a project! Plus specials and Earth Day!
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 19:04:51 -0500

Hello Wheatsville friends!

I have a really exciting announcement in this post! Stay tuned for more, below!

What else?
Owner Gathering was really great!
April Co-op Advantage Specials
Fresh in the Deli!
Earth Day!

We had a great owner gathering at the Alamo on Tuesday. Over 100 of your fellow owners joined us for a night of connecting to the board and each other, thinking and dreaming about our future and watching a great film. I think that people had a really nice time. I know that I did!

I was also able to make a major announcement for our co-op!
I closed on our financing with the National Co-op Bank and entered into a contractor agreement with TF Harper and Associates so we are now officially ON OUR WAY to a renovated and expanded Wheatsville!!! Woo Hoo!
We expect that in the next few weeks, you will begin to see the work begin to take place beginning with work on our east retaining wall and the former InStep building. You'll know that work has begun by seeing construction fencing, big trucks and construction workers all around!
While we will do all we can to minimize inconvenience to you, there will be some challenges and changes throughout the process. You can have a much happier experience at Wheatsville during the construction if you stay in tune with the news about expansion throughout the project.
Reading this e-mail is a really good way to do it. I will include updates and information about what to expect at Wheatsville in the coming weeks.
Checking the expansion part of our web-site is another really good way. http://wheatsville.coop/expansion.html
We'll also have a board in the main store (probably on wheels!) that will also let you know what's happening in any given week.
The project is expected to take about 14 months.
I'm so glad that we are about to begin and I want to thank you for all your support and patience through this extremely complicated planning phase and your continued support, patience and flexibility as we move through the project!

Lots of great new Co-op Advantage specials are coming your way for April you can download  pdf athttp://wheatsville.coop/CAP%20flyers/SW04081.pdf or pick up a flyer in the store. We've also got a cool Coupon book available at the member center, too with savings of nearly $30!

Fresh in the Deli
We'll have the following delicious recipes from our friends at Davis Food Co-op in Davis, California for the next 2 weeks! Check 'em out!

Lentil Medley, a wonderful blend of fresh veggies and organic lentils in a light vinagirette dressing.
Asian Cabbage Crunch, tastes like it sounds!

Salsa of the Month is Sweet Serrano Salsa, Merilee our kitchen manager is really excited about this salsa! We hope that you like it, too!

News from our Perishables guy, Mike Crissey!

BOTTLED UP DEMAND

You may have noticed that we've had rolling "brownouts" of some flavors of Kombucha for the past couple of weeks. Apparently, GT's can't keep up with their growing demand. Unfortunately, this production hiccup happened right before Kombucha went sale this month for two for $5 (1 for $2.50, reg. $2.99). Please remain patient, I am ordering as much as I can reasonably fit in the cooler. If you special order a case ($30 for a case of 12 all month), you'll be sure to get the flavor you'd like when it comes in.

"I'M MELTING!!"

Summertime and triple-digit temperatures are right around the corner and I'd like your help to make sure our customers can get their refrigerated and frozen items intact on their ways home, particularly on bicycles. I bicycle everywhere, but unfortunately don't take much frozen stuff home. Do you have any tips for keeping your perishables from perishing on the way home? Let me know before  next Monday (4/7) and your suggestions could be used in the next edition of the Wheatsville Breeze.

(SIGH) THAT AGAIN?!?

Do you have a recipe using a product we sell in the dairy case or freezer that you think everyone should try? Send it in! You can win the admiration and respect of your fellow owners while helping us sell more stuff. If you come up with a recipe using an item  currently on CAP, I'll definitely try to share it.

Save the date!
We are a major sponsor of Austin Green Art's Earth Day event in Republic Square Park.
Austin Green Art, a non-profit arts organization dedicated to raising awareness of sustainability issues through art, announces its 3rd annual eARTh Day event. AGA will produce this free, community-wide event and the Austin Farmer’s Market will host it.  This all-day event includes the Earth Day Expo, local vendors will sell green products and educate people about environmental efforts; Green Art, outdoor exhibits of conscious art installations; Green Art Kids, all-day entertainment and activities throughout the day to engage children of all ages; Green Scene Scavenger Hunt and the Solar Jam, a solar-powered musical event. The talented musical line-up includes Belaharr, Djembabes, SaxManRand, and Big Chief Kevin & the Flaming Mardi Gras Indians.

WHEN:  Saturday, April 19, from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.  For more information, go to www.austingreenart.org.

WHERE:  Republic Square Park (Fourth and Guadalupe Street)

I hope that you have a super-fine week!
Dan Gillotte
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy!

  • [Wheatsville] April showers bring a project! Plus specials and Earth Day!, Dan Gillotte, 04/02/2008