wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Eat local week and the election is over!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.coop>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Eat local week and the election is over!
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:45:14 -0600

Hi Wheatsville!

I hope that you got to come out and enjoy the Artsfest again this year! It was a terrific affair as always! Thanks to Judith Craft for her excellent work to make this Austin favorite happen each year!'

This Sunday, we will be celebrating Eat Local Week in Austin with our friends from Urban Roots!
Eat Local Week Event at Wheatsville
SUNDAY, Dec. 9th
Noon-3 pm

Come meet the Urban Roots folks and find out more about this inspiring youth development program and beneficiary of Eat Local Week.
Plus! This is your chance to play Name That Seed. Then shop for your local food favorites.

Eat Local Week is Edible Austin's winter fundraiser event, an invitation to explore and celebrate the abundance of local food and to raise money for Urban Roots, a youth development program that uses sustainable agriculture to effect lasting change for youth 14-18 years old, and to nourish East Austin residents who have limited access to healthy foods. Young people will cultivate a local 2 - 5 acre, diversified organic farm, selling a portion of their harvest in the Austin area and donating a portion to local hunger relief programs. Young people can connect to the land and learn the benefits of growing, eating, selling and donating organic food, as well as leadership, entrepreneurial and life skills, and the importance of giving back to their community. You are invited to dine out, shop, throw a dinner or cocktail party, or simply make a home-cooked meal using local foods and beverages. Check www.Edible Austin frequently to see a growing list of participating restaurants, featuring locally-sourced entree and drink specials for the week.

At Wheatsville, every week is all about eating locally! Local is the flavor of the month for the big guys, but it's always been OUR way! Look for signs that say locally made as well as other signs that show the Miles to Market a product takes to get to our store!
Our election is over! Thank you to all who voted and all who ran. We really appreciate it!

The elected board members are Johanna Devine, Stephanie Johnson, Bob Kinney, Tom Wald and staff members Bryan Butler and Mike Crissey.

Our Community Action Wednesday groups for 2008 will be:
People's Community Clinic
Ecology Action
SafePlace
Sustainable Food Center
Capital Area Food Bank
Yellow BIke Project
Emancipet Mobile Spay/ Neuter Clinic
ACLU Central Texas Chapter
Meals on Wheels and More and our write in candidate is Urban Roots.
COngratulations to all the candidates and groups!

Wheatsville Owners overwhelmingly voted to continue our boycott of Products tested on animals.

Thanks and have a great week!
Oh, new Co-op Advantage Specials on the web-site!

Dan
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy!

  • [Wheatsville] Eat local week and the election is over!, Dan Gillotte, 12/07/2007