wheatsville - [Wheatsville] May!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: dan gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.com>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] May!
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 12:21:02 -0500

Hello Wheatsville friends!

The weather is gorgeous as our glorious spring continues! Happy Mother’s day to all you Wheatsville moms out there! Hope you have great weekend! So far May is bringing lovely days and nights and it has also brought excellent Co-op Advantage Specials to your favorite co-op.

I like to cook up Boca Burgers, toast some Rudi’s Organic Buns and have a yummy lunch or quick dinner. These items are both on sale this month, so these will be no-brainer meals for May. The Rudi’s Whole Wheat Organic buns are really quite excellent, so try them out.
Tofurky turkey style slices are on sale for $1.99, and they make a heckuva sandwich with the Rudi’s buns, too! I like to use Vegenaise from the dairy case, but any mayo of your choice would work well.

Alexia Fries are a delicious addition to any of these quick meals. If you haven’t tried these fries, you’re missing out! They’re on sale for $1.79
The Co-op Advantage Flyer this month has two great recipes, one for Grilled Tofu and Vegetable Antipasti and the other for a lovely Pasta Pomodoro. These look delicious and could make a nice Mother’s day meal for Dad and kids to make. They are not very difficult recipes and could be more family-fun than finding a restaurant to take Mom to. The Pasta Pomodoro recipe suggests BioNatura Pasta (it’s on sale this month) but I have to put a plug in for it myself. This is the BEST pasta I have eaten. Their whole wheat pasta is also extremely good. So, try it if you haven’t.

Other items on sale this month:

Lightlife Smart Dogs
$2.49
Kettle Krinkle Cut Potato Chips 16 oz. $3.49
Larabar nutrition bar for $1.39
Organic Valley Soy Milk $2.69
Spectrum Organic Olive Oil 33.8 oz for $8.99
Bionatura Organic Pasta 10 oz selected varieties 2 for $3
Muir Glen Organic Pasta Sauce 25-26 oz. Selected varieties for $2.69
Muir Glen Organic Salsa 2 for $5 (I am really impressed with their Hot variety. )
Switch Carbonated Juice Beverage 4 packs for $3.29
Annie’s Dressings 16 oz. Selected varieties for $3.69

Bulk specials
Organic Rolled Oats
just 69¢/ lb
Organic Thompson Raisins $2.59/ lb

Bodycare
Organic Essentials Organic Tampons
for $3.49
Dr. Bronner Organic Tea Tree Castile Soap 8 oz. $3.29

Produce will be featuring delicious Organic Strawberries at great prices all weekend long starting Friday.
If you haven’t been eating asparagus this Spring so far, I suggest you get started! Asparagus is so easy to prepare, but is so nice and fancy, you’ll feel like a real star when you serve it. Just chop the bottoms off or for more fun, hold the base of the stem and draw back the top of the spear until it snaps. That way you are ensured of the most tender asparagus. Then just sautee, steam or roast until bright green (just a few minutes) try not to over cook.

The deli is featuring our homemade salad dressings in 16 oz containers ready to take home! These have been a real hit so far and are a much better deal than most salad dressings out there.

Look for our Salsa of the month for May starting next Wednesday. We will be featuring our Poblano Pepper Salsa. Come check it out, we’ll have samples galore!

Don’t forget Third Thursday on May 19th all up and down Guadalupe and please come to our May 22nd Member Gathering here at the co-op.

Our Community Action Wednesday group for May is the Save Our Springs Alliance. Support this group by shopping on Wednesdays in May!

I hope you have a great weekend and a wonderful month!

Dan
Wheatsville gm and E-mail guy

Wheatsville Co-op winner Best of Austin Best Specialty/ Gourmet Grocery and Best Place to be a Faux Vegetarian!

  • [Wheatsville] May!, dan gillotte, 05/05/2005