v2k-announce - [V2k-announce] NC/VA Soul & Bhangra Parties + Miss Shing-A-Ling!

v2k-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: DJ Marco <djmarco AT solidsoundsystem.com>
  • To: "Ch-Scene Alt.Music.Chapel-Hill" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Bespoke List <bespoke AT yahoogroups.com>, "clubaugogo AT yahoogroups.com" <clubaugogo AT yahoogroups.com>, East Coast Mod Scene Archive <EastCoastModSceneArchive AT yahoogroups.com>, Satisfaction Club LA <SatisfactionClub AT yahoogroups.com>, UNC Campus Events <i-table2001 AT listserv.unc.edu>, V2K <v2k-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [V2k-announce] NC/VA Soul & Bhangra Parties + Miss Shing-A-Ling!
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:58:14 -0500

Once again this weekend we've got more soul & bhangra parties than you can
handle (including TWO on Friday and one in Richmond VA) PLUS we have special
DJ guest MISS SHING-A-LING (Subway Soul Club NYC) along for the ride!!

MISS SHING-A-LING
Miss Shing-A-Ling is a rare South Korean import, raised in Buffalo, NY. She
grew up garbage picking records off the streets of the suburbs and later
developed an over all obsession for records of all genres, shapes and sizes.
Her first exposure to the strange world of soul music began shortly after
she graduated highschool and moved to San Francisco, CA. She joined the
Golden State Soul Club and attended Soul nights up and down the coast of CA.
She didn't begin DJing until she moved to NYC in late 90s.

Since her return to the East Coast, she began hosting her own resident Soul
nights, contributing articles to The Big Daddy, Grand Slam and Togetherness
Magazines. In 2003 her passion for Northern Soul caused her to move to
London, UK for a year where she worked full-time for Jazzman Records. Now
back in the States, she is a contributor to Soul Up North Magazine, working
remotely for Jazzman and DJing across the country. She also
buys/sells/trades records privately and on ebay. Musically, her major
fixation is for suicidal ballads and mid-60s - mid-70s Philly Soul, Miami
bass, and true hiphop though she collects across the board & absolutely
loves to dance!

http://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/clubvenu.html
http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/

Thursday, March 9 :: 10pm-2am
FEDERAL SOUL
at FEDERAL
914 W. Main St. :: Durham, NC 27701 :: USA :: 919.680.8611
FREE ADMISSION!

MISS SHING-A-LING will be dropping the heaviest soul 45 rarities as Marco
provides the soulful soundtrack with strictly vinyl deep selections of
r'n'b, jazz, funk, soul, and reggae from the 60s-70s. And yes we still have
a few $1.50 PBRs left!

http://www.solidsoundsystem.com/
http://www.thefederal.net/

FRIDAY, MARCH 10 :: 10pm-2am and beyond
ALIBI FUNK
At THE ALIBI BAR
14 West Martin St :: Raleigh, NC 27603 :: USA :: 919.834.735
FREE ADMISSION!

MISS SHING-A-LING and MIDNITE COWBWOY hit Raleigh with only finest 60s-70s
soul, funk and other 60s-70s grooves on strictly original vintage vinyl!

NOTE: THIS DATE IS TENTATIVE! CALL ALIBI TO CONFIRM!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=33
617408

FRIDAY, MARCH 10 :: 11pm-2am and beyond
MASALA BEAT CLUB
at TALULLAS
456 W. Franklin St. :: Chapel Hill, NC :: USA :: 919.933.1177
$3 ADMISSION

DJ MARCO & DJ MOGAMBO spin bhangra, bollywood, hiphop, dancehall, and
reggaeton with a desi twist!

http://www.talullas.com/
http://www.solidsoundsystem.com/music/music.html

SATURDAY, MARCH 11 :: 10pm-2am
SCORPIO BROTHERS SOUL NIGHT
At IPANEMA
917 W Grace St. :: Richmond, VA :: USA :: 804.213.0170
FREE ADMISSION

THE SCORPIO BROTHERS (Sire Troy & Marty Violence) reteam after a long hiatus
to spin funk, soul & disco at Richmond's favorite vegetarian nightspot!
Their parties are always packed so get there early!

http://richmond.citysearch.com/profile/10551114/

SUNDAY, MARCH 12 :: 10pm-2am
NEU ROMANCE 3rd ANNIVERSARY - YO'S JAM III
At KINGS BARCADE
424 South McDowell Street :: Raleigh, NC :: USA :: 919.831.1005
FREE ADMISSION

DJs MARK T, MADCOW, CASTRO, KIKO, and MISS SHING-A-LING

Chico sez: It's hard to believe that we've been doing this for three years,
but we have, and we still love it. Come celebrate our birthday with the
third installment of Yo's Jams. Once again, Ms. McGill has presented us with
playlist that conjures up memories of the 5-0, the Fallout Shelter, and yes,
The Culture Club (that's right, I said it). Years from now we want you to
refer to Neu Romance in that list - as a place and time that you remember
being around people who love music and each other. That's why we do this -
'cause we sure ain't making any dough. Come celebrate our birthday with us!

http://www.neuromance.org/

  • [V2k-announce] NC/VA Soul & Bhangra Parties + Miss Shing-A-Ling!, DJ Marco, 03/08/2006