unclug - [unclug] FreedomPop as local ISP?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org,
  • Subject: [unclug] FreedomPop as local ISP?
  • Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 17:19:03 -0400

another home-use question: anyone using FreedomPop as their ISP?
If so, what's your experience? Esp as a linux user? (I know, OS *should* not
matter, but ...)
Why I ask:

I've been hoping to get ISP != TWC/RR for awhile--it's expensive for what one
gets, and I don't like their politics. However I haven't seen any options
that weren't either too expensive, involved a contract, or that had bad user
reviews. I recently heard freedompop.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreedomPop

is now available in Carrboro. Their plans seem reasonable (although

- the data price cap=10 GB/mo, which rules out all but the most occasional
video

- ya gotta buy their modem/router for $90

- they're currently brokering data from Clearwire (but are apparently moving
to Sprint/Softbank)

), their politics seem good (e.g., they seem to be Doing Their Bit to "close
the digital divide"), and there's no contract (unless I'm missing something).

But that leaves the semi-empirical question, how good is their service? Which
I'm hoping some linux user on the list can answer, preferably from direct
experience.

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT pobox.com>

  • [unclug] FreedomPop as local ISP?, Tom Roche, 08/08/2013