unclug - Re: [unclug] two more package-related topics

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org,
  • Cc: Joel Adamson <adamsonj AT ninthfloor.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] two more package-related topics
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 13:10:51 -0400

Tom Roche Sat, 18 May 2013 11:51:54 -0400
>> 1 package system/managers compared--at least APT and RPM. I run
>> debian on my own boxes, but the systems to which I remote are all
>> CentOS, RHL, or SL, so I'd like to be more bilingual.

Joel J. Adamson Tue, 21 May 2013 22:42:39 -0400
> I could cover pacman if someone else would be willing to do APT and
> RPM/yum.

I could talk about APT from a "consumer perspective" (i.e., manually
admin-ing a few boxes, no automation, not a major installation).

> Users are unlikely to encounter pacman on a big remote system, but
> it might help people who are interested in trying Arch.

IIUC, this group is not restricted to the care and feeding of big
remote systems. But one more package-related topic that *is* :-)

http://modules.sourceforge.net/

I'd like to learn more about `modules`--it's pretty widely used on
big-science-type clusters. (IIRC the UNC RC clusters use it.) With
`modules`, I have a "user perspective" (just using on boxes I don't
admin--the next step down from the consumer perspective).