unclug - [unclug] two more package-related topics

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org,
  • Cc: Joel Adamson <adamsonj AT ninthfloor.org>
  • Subject: [unclug] two more package-related topics
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 11:51:54 -0400

... that would interest me, at least:

1 package system/managers compared--at least APT and RPM. I run debian
on my own boxes, but the systems to which I remote are all CentOS,
RHL, or SL, so I'd like to be more bilingual.

2 package-management partitioning. I am generally a big fan of
distro-scale package management, but have come to believe (as is so
often the case, there being no absolute good except absolute good)
they can be suboptimal when dealing with spaces that have their own
PMs, e.g., Python (and to a lesser extent R). Am I missing something?
If not,

* are there other problematic subspaces?

* how best to isolate those subspaces from the OS/distro and each other?
E.g. (IIUC) virtualenv for python.

FWIW, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT pobox.com>