unclug - [unclug] Ticket 1714930: VPN docs, esp for linux

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT unc.edu>
  • To: research AT unc.edu,
  • Cc: , unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org, updateticket AT unc.edu
  • Subject: [unclug] Ticket 1714930: VPN docs, esp for linux
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:43:57 -0400

Zongqiang Liao 4/1/2010 13:54
> regarding your installation problem of VPN on 64-bit Ubuntu Karmic.
> I search around and find this webpage that may be useful in helping
> you solve the problem. Please check it out:

> http://www.lamnk.com/blog/vpn/how-to-install-cisco-vpn-client-on-ubuntu-jaunty-jackalope-and-karmic-koala-64-bit/

While I appreciate the suggestion, the procedure given on that link
involves patching one's kernel! Which makes the already-lengthy
procedure recommended by

https://help.unc.edu/3081

that much longer, and (IMHO) even more risky and less maintainable.
Instead I recommend the following doc fixes:

1 The "Getting Started on Topsail" doc

http://help.unc.edu/6214

must state that one will be unable to ssh into topsail from off-campus
without a VPN. In fact, the instructions for use of *any* campus
facility that only works inside the firewall should so indicate,
presuming one wants to avoid wasting users' time.

2 The top-level VPN information pages, e.g. "Frequently Asked
Questions About VPN"

https://help.unc.edu/2502

must indicate that the Cisco VPN client that UNC ITS currently
supplies via shareware.unc.edu will not build against newer
2.6-based kernels.

3 The lower-level pages on VPNing from linux, e.g. "Installing the VPN
on Linux"

https://help.unc.edu/3081

should be improved to point to much simpler options than installing
the heavy Cisco client, e.g.

* the SSL VPN

https://vpn.unc.edu/+CSCOE+/logon.html

* for newer linuxes (e.g. ubuntu >= 9.04), the vpnc plugin for the
GNOME Network Manager. For UNC-specific instructions, see

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/unclug/2010-April/000490.html

which are adapted from the very-nicely-done instructions @

http://www.cs.umn.edu/help/offsite/vpn.php#ubuntu

TIA, Tom Roche [Tom_Roche AT pobox.com]