unclug - Re: [unclug] VPNing UNC from 64-bit ubuntu karmic

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Cristóbal Palmer <cmpalmer AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT pobox.com>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] VPNing UNC from 64-bit ubuntu karmic
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:35:32 -0400

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 12:15:52PM -0400, Tom Roche wrote:

> Has anyone configured a VPN into UNC from a newish 64-bit ubuntu?
> If so, how? e.g. with the Cisco client or vpnc? Why I ask (note
> specific questions @ end of post, after gory details):

I gave up on VPN and started using SSH tunnels and just doing most
things from screen on a machine on campus.

Here's one tunneling method that would probably meet your needs:

http://backdrift.org/transparent-proxy-with-ssh

You could go through isis. A bit of pain to enter passwords twice,
though. If you have a desktop on campus then I highly recommend the
screen route.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal Palmer