unclug - Re: [unclug] OS suggestions/experiences for Asus EeePC

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: dparker <dparker AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: <loren_watterson AT unc.edu>, UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] OS suggestions/experiences for Asus EeePC
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:22:18 -0500

I'm a big OpenBSD fan and I know that it worked on the earlier EeePCs. But
if you're committed to Linux you might not like it: secure and the man
pages are an education in themselves and are the only truly complete set
I've seen on any *NIX (the major BSDs and Linuxes); easy to set up, but
only after you've screwed up several times; user community not as mean as
their rep though they are mean, but they're extremely knowledgeable; but
some important apps (e.g., Flash, which is one of those sad, sad facts of
life, like having to help the fam with Windows)--some important apps aren't
available.

As for Linux, my favorite is Arch.

May I ask how's the keyboard? Thanks!

david lee parker