unclug - [unclug] lightweight linux

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "Alan Hoyle" <alanh AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "UNC Linux Users Group" <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [unclug] lightweight linux
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:15:19 -0500

I've got an ancient Sony Vaio PCG-C1VPK that a friend gave me (Crusoe
proc, 128 MB, 15 GB, 1024x480 screen, PCMCIA wifi card).

I'm trying to set it up to run as an iTunes streaming client. I had
success getting it to run for the most part when I tried Xubuntu on
it, but it just wasn't usable as a computer: things took forever to
load up, and it spent most of its time grinding the HD. On the other
hand, it did set up the screen resolution and it did actually work as
a DAAP client when I installed Rhythmbox and GStreamer.

I've been looking for a lighter weight distro, and I've been mesing
with Damn Small Linux at your suggestion. It installed pretty easily
but It only runs in 640x480. I added the XF86Config myDSL option, but
that doesn't seem to make any difference in the configuration. Also,
xvidtune doesn't seem to exist, and (after adding apt), I can't find
how to install it.

Do you have any idea how to configure that? The problem is that is
has a non-standard resolution, and xsetup.sh doesn't recognize it.

Any hints/suggestions?

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh AT unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/