unclug - [unclug] Metacity and (lack of) fancy features....

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "Alan Hoyle" <alanh AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "UNC Linux Users Group" <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [unclug] Metacity and (lack of) fancy features....
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:34:17 -0400

Both Fedora Core and Ubuntu use Metacity as their default window
manager, and that's upset me as Metacity lacks some features that are
really nice. For example, it won't flip to another desktop by moving
the mouse to the edge of the screen, and it doesn't remember the
window settings of an application between runs. Previously, I would
try to run a different window manager, but I recently discovered that
there are a few tools that get around the limitations:

Brightside allows edge-flipping and setting screen corners to do things:

http://wiki.catmur.co.uk/Brightside/

Devil's Pie allows window matching and setting options (e.g. I have it
make all of my IM client windows "Always on Visible Desktop"
automatically).

http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie

If you're running Ubuntu, both are available via the regular apt repos.

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/70/Brightside_Devils_Pie.pdf

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh AT unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/