unclug - [unclug] Ubuntu's inittab replacement?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "Alan Hoyle" <alanh AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "UNC Linux Users Group" <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [unclug] Ubuntu's inittab replacement?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:23:45 -0400

Hey all,

I'm trying to set up a new desktop workstation here on Ubuntu. I got
the AFS stuff working mostly (haven't actually succeeded in getting a
login to renew tokens, but it does auto-prompt me in the X-window
GUI).

One of the last things I want to set up is the TSM client. I
installed the packages using the "alien" package installer which lets
me convert/install RPM packages on the Debian-based distro. I've
followed the instructions mostly, but one of the last steps is to
install something into the inittab:

ad:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/tsm-cmd-line...

and run a telinit q.

Ubuntu uses Upstart instead of an inittab by default.

In order to make this work, can I create the /etc/inittab so it ONLY
contains that one "ad:2345:respawn:..." line, or will I basically have
to recreate the entire Upstart configuration in there?

Alternatively, can anyone tell me how to write an Upstart script to
replace that line?

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh AT unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/