unclug - Re: [unclug] Mounting a directory on a Windows server

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Dan Blanchette <dan_blanchette AT unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Mounting a directory on a Windows server
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:26:27 -0500 (EST)

Brian Pike ROCKS!
Thanks. That worked really well. The file/directory permissions aren't
flawless...like I can't get to a directory that has UNIX permissions
that say I can but has Windows permissions that deny me...but it's
close enough to happiness for this scenario. I can work with it now.

I was playing with the uid and gid settings under the mount
command with the -U option at the end of the command like:

sudo mount -w -t smbfs -o username=my_onyen
//severname.domain.unc.edu/some_dir ~/some_dir -U dan

and that didn't work. But Mike suggestion does work:

sudo mount -w -t smbfs -o uid=dan,gid=users,username=my_onyen //server...

I also accomplished a secondary goal to liven things up a bit on this
list to show subscribers that it can be a useful resource and mechanism
to share knowledge/tips and tricks.

Best,

Dan Blanchette

Has anyone running samba on their Linux box been able to mount a Windows
file system with the CIFS protocol?

I've been able to do this on my Ubuntu Dapper box:
sudo mount -w -t smbfs -o username=my_onyen
//severname.domain.unc.edu/some_dir ~/some_dir
but root owns everything so I have to sudo cp or mv files in and
out...but I can edit a file in-place and save my changes!

A guess: see the uid and gid arguments for smbmount:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smbmount.8.html

so you could do something like:
sudo mount -w -t smbfs -o uid=dan,gid=users,username=my_onyen //server...

and then your linux system should show all of the files and directories
you mounted as being owned by the user 'dan' and the group 'users'.
(According to the mount man page, the options given to mount for an smbfs
filesystem are just passed to mount.smbfs=smbmount.)

I do something similar on my system for sometimes allowing my normal user
read/write access to my windows partition.

-Brian Pike