unclug - Re: [unclug] Mounting a directory on a Windows server

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Brian Pike <bapike AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Mounting a directory on a Windows server
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:13:42 -0500 (EST)

A guess: see the uid and gid arguments for smbmount:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smbmount.8.html

so you could do something like:
sudo mount -w -t smbfs -o uid=dan,gid=users,username=my_onyen //server...

and then your linux system should show all of the files and directories you mounted as being owned by the user 'dan' and the group 'users'. (According to the mount man page, the options given to mount for an smbfs filesystem are just passed to mount.smbfs=smbmount.)

I do something similar on my system for sometimes allowing my normal user read/write access to my windows partition.

-Brian Pike