unclug - Re: [unclug] campus-wide jabber

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Kevin Otte <kevin_otte AT unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] campus-wide jabber
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:36:46 -0500

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On 12/4/06, Cristobal Palmer <cmpalmer AT ils.unc.edu> wrote:
>> Now... who wants to join the unclug jabber MUC[1]? :D
>
>> [1] unclug AT conferenc.jabber.unc.edu
>
> Sadly, it seems to be firewalled from off-campus networks. :-(

The problem is that DNS does not resolve conference.jabber.unc.edu.
Even if it were accepting off campus connections, other jabber daemons
do not have the ability to resolve it.

If you are connected directly to jabber.unc.edu, you can join the
conference because it's the same daemon (no DNS required). I am
connected from off campus right now.

So, more correctly, you cannot reach conference.jabber.unc.edu MUCs via s2s.

-- Kevin