unclug - [unclug] campus-wide jabber

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Cristobal Palmer <cmpalmer AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [unclug] campus-wide jabber
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 16:27:39 -0500

Now, this isn't "in production" yet, but I found out that
[onyen]@jabber.unc.edu is up and working. I've logged in with gaim and
had some fun with it already. :) That is, if you have an onyen, you
have a campus-based jabber account waiting for you, and if you have
gaim (and why wouldn't you? it runs on both windows and linux--mac
users should know adium), then you have a TLS-ready jabber client. :D

If you're working on campus and have any interest in setting up
messaging internal to your department, this is good news! Again, this
hasn't received the blessing of ITS, but it's out there and working,
so if you like it, be sure to let them know.

Personally I like this a lot more than the Oracle system they're looking
at[0],
but who likes Open Standards anyway? :P The particular person to send
a shout-out to would be Chris Colomb, director of messaging.

Thanks to Simon Spero for pointing this out to me.

Now... who wants to join the unclug jabber MUC[1]? :D

[0] http://its.unc.edu/inside/fs/?p=21
[1] unclug AT conferenc.jabber.unc.edu

Cristobal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS
cmpalmer AT ils.unc.edu

internet equivalent of naked baby photos:
http://ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer/