unclug - Re: [unclug] Building OpenAFS kernel module from SRPM

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Adam Constabaris <adamc AT unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Building OpenAFS kernel module from SRPM
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:31:17 -0400

Matthew Mauzy wrote:
Don't forget the "_1". All of the openafs-kernels I've rebuilt on RHEL4 have names of:
openafs-kernel-1.4.1-`uname -r`_1.`uname -p`.rpm

But I like the `uname -p`. Platform independence and it's more characters than what it evaluates to.

Caveat: this may work on Intel systems, but `uname -p` on an Athlon evaluates to 'athlon', which is not a kernel flavor supplied by FC5 out of the box (atm, I'm happily running the i686 SMP flavor on an Opteron machine), although of course you can compile your own.

AC