unclug - [unclug] Building OpenAFS kernel module from SRPM

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Adam Constabaris <adamc AT unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [unclug] Building OpenAFS kernel module from SRPM
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:34:45 -0400

The problem this is designed to solve: you have an RPM-based system that uses openafs, but you upgrade your kernel to a version that is not (yet) included in the openafs.org openafs-kernel binary RPMS.

This is designed to allow you to compile the kernel modules from the SRPM from openafs.org; it doesn't address the rest of the configuration issues, so it works best if you get openafs from openafs.org working, and then reboot into your new kernel.

I've only ever run this on Fedora Core 5! I assume it would work on other RedHat-related distros, and there's probably something .deb based that does a similar trick.

Note that since it uses the uname command, you'll need to be running the target kernel at the time you execute the command. You can, of course, work your way around the problem by specifying the name of the targeted kernel by hand, but this method seems more error-resistant.

# rpmbuild --rebuild --target=`uname -m` openafs-1.4.1-fc5.1.src.rpm

# rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/[arch]/openafs-kernel-1.4.1-[kernel version]-[arch].rpm

AC