unclug - [unclug] Sound weirdness....

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "Alan Hoyle" <alanh AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "UNC Linux Users Group" <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [unclug] Sound weirdness....
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:02:52 -0400

So with that same FC5 workstation that had the now solved load issue,
I've been having a problem with the sound ever since I started using
it.

I have two IBM ThinkCentre workstations: one a tower running XP, the
other the aformentioned desktop Linux box. On the tower, if there's
nothing plugged in to the speaker jack, it plays through the internal
speaker, but if speakers or headphones are plugged in, the internal
speaker is silenced and the sound plays through the
speakers/headphones/etc.

On the desktop, sound always plays though the internal speaker whether
there's something plugged in to the jack or not. If something is
plugged into the port, it does play the sounds, but I can't figure out
a way to disable the internal speaker.

I checked in the BIOS setup, but that only has options for
all-or-nothing soundcard enable/disable. I guess I could open up the
case and disconnect the cable to the speaker, but I think something
less intrusive should work.

I don't see any changes to make in the system-config-soundcard or
anywhere else.

Suggestions?

-alan

--